Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Ricochet Days



i'm compiling bits and pieces of some of the least heard (or understood) lyrics from some of the more brilliant songwriters from the punk/post-punk era. why? well, simply because it's frustrating to google lyrics just to find out that--while most of them are indeed available--they've been horrendously wronged. apparently, those "song hits," type-what-sounds correct days have yet to really go away.

1. "Hollow Horse"
    words by by Ian McNabb
    Icicle Works
    1984 (single)

the band's name by the way, was taken from SF master Frederik Pohl's 1959 (not 1960 as wikipedia says) short story, "The Day The Icicle Works Closed".

"Things I chose to value
I no longer have a use for
I ridicule myself for all the things
those symbols stood for
When vanity has played a part
in every leader's downfall
Wait to storm the gates, what's left
undone to hang around for"

"We'll be as we are
When all the fools
who doubt us fade away
Fortune deep and wide
Intimidated, restless in the wait"



2. "Perfect"
    words by Matt Johnson
    The The
    1983
    Soul Mining

features the brilliant harmonica playing of ex-New York Doll, David Johanson.





"Passing by a cemetery,
I think of all the little hopes and dreams,
That lie lifeless and unfilled beneath the soil.
I see an old man fingering his perishing flesh.
He tells himself he was a good man and did good things.
Amused and confused by life's little ironies,
He swallows his bottle of distilled damnation."

"Oh, what a perfect day,
To think about myself
My feet are firmly screwed to the floor.
What is there to fear from such a regular world?"

3. "Tears"
    words by Mark Burgess
    The Chameleons UK
    1986
    Strange Times

i remember The Dawn covering this during one of their early gigs. lourd tells me jet pangan was rollicking into an '80s trip a few days ago in a Big Sky Mind gig, wailing to The Cult's "She Sells Sanctuary" and U2's "I Will Follow". hehehe.



"Kicking out the chaos and gloom
Carry me home
I'll watch the ceiling spin round the room
Carry me home
Can you tell me how will it be now?
How will it be?"

"In the real world how will it be?
In a cold world how will it be?
In a lonely world
(Beg and crawl)
How will it be?
Will the ghosts just stop
Following me?"

4. "Tinseltown in The Rain "
    words by Paul Buchanan
    The Blue Nile
    1984
    A Walk Across the Rooftops



while many claim that their 2004 album ,High was great, this debut effort immediately catapulted Buchanan into stardom. The single, "Stay" was one of the more popular anthems from the era.

"Tinseltown in the rain
Oh men and women
Here we are, caught up in this big rhythm

One day this love will all blow over
Time for leaving the parade
Is there a place in this city
A place to always feel this way?
And hey, there's a red car in the fountain"

5. "Through The Barricades"
    words by Gary Kemp
    Spandau Ballet
    1986
    Through The Barricades



quite the popular SB hit during its heyday. But have you really sat down to ruminate on its sonorous acoustic guitar intro, the marching band ending and, well, the wonderful lyrics? btw, correct me if i'm wrong , but wasn't that Gary Kemp playing guitars on the opening video of the hollywood movie, Music and Lyrics?


"Oh, turn around and I'll be there
Theres a scar right through my heart
But I'll bare it again
Well we thought we were the human race
But we were just another borderline case
And the stars reach down and tell us
That there's always one escape

"I don't know where love has gone
But in this trouble land
Desperation keep us strong
Friday's child is full of soul
With nothing left to lose
Theres everything to go"

next time: The Alarm, Modern English, Prefab Sprout, Aztec Camera