Friday, April 27, 2007

Mini Retro Review: Flaunt the Imperfection

"hear my silence, see my blindness
a love ascending, and never ending
you did cut me, from the same tree
a love incision, my inner vision"

-- You Did Cut Me

Flaunt the Imperfection
China Crisis
Virgin UK Records
1985

the band's superb and landmark third album transcends the cutesy and lilting riffs and synths of their more popular and overplayed song, "Wishful Thinking". produced by Steely Dan's Walter Becker. becker's influence clearly showed in the more mature arrangements (complemented with a nice horn section) and innovative instrumentations, without compromising China Crisis' brilliant lyricism. flaunt the imperfection houses hit '80s anthems "Black Man Ray," and "King in a Catholic Style," plus some of less played but equally well-written tracks such as "Highest High," "Blue Sea," "Bigger the Punch I'm Feeling," and my personal fave, "You Did Cut Me".